Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Literally Diarrheaed Myself

Even more embarrassing than having a blog, I am admitting today -- here and now -- that I enjoy flash animations.

I guess the first one I had seen was the infamous YATTA!, or maybe it was peanut-butter-jelly-time, but since then I can't get enough.

Why yes I do realize that their randomness is the most base and unsubtle form of humor there is. But its so damn satisfying. Any entire art form predicated on the question 'who comes up with this shit?' and irregardless of the answer: bored stoners with significant leisure time and some sort of marginal technical prowess is A-OK by me.

Funnier still are clips that recognize how strange the Japanese are. Any of you who have been with me when I was very drunk have most likely heard my peoratory on the how Japanese culture intoxicates me -- it is almost paralyzing weird. I took a class at Tufts, the thesis of which was basically: Japan is fucked up because it was post-modern before being modern. As in, years of isolationism created a curiosity -- nay, an obsession -- with the very surface of western society. Celebrity glamour was commoditized and a sort of bubble-gum sensibility regarding cultural icons emerged. The thinest and often most ironic understanding of the West was the result, and enthusiasm for this conception became a normative focus among Japanese youth. Spaghetti westerns? We'll make a western about Spaghetti (see Tampopo for more on this...).

Liberal arts colleges -- only here can you disguise xenophobic cultural generalities behind Baudrillard.

Racism aside, they really are quite strange. When we stumbled upon these "LEARN JAPANESE!" vids on YouTube a few weeks ago, I literally diarrheaed myself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W1VY4b9IQQ


Oh, What a world.

I have a blind date tonight. More of it/her soon:

Matt

2 comments:

Dave R said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dave R said...

So far, best I can tell, you have solicited dates; secured one; questioned, albeit obliquely (via asking about the venue), the fact that Brian is getting married; and inspired a lengthy, non sequitur exigesis on the guitar solo.

Also, your initials are MSN! Huh.

From the looks of it, this blog will be the beginning of a very beautiful relationship with yourself.

Or, possibly, Alejandra.

DQ